How Pioneer Baptist came to today
Our church began in the 1920's when the newly wed Melishe family arrived. They were a young couple preparing for missionary work in Liberia, Africa. Their stay in Norland and area was several years They held Sunday schools in several of the one roomed school houses scattered from Miner's Bay, Buller, Head lake, to Dongola. As families gathered and folks professed faith in Christ the church grew to a point where it was felt that it would be a good idea to build a centrally located building in the larger centre of Norland. Several other Baptist missionaries served until the 1930's when Frank Vaughan arrived as a full time pastor. For 30+ years the pastors shared the church in Kinmount. Frank built the log house and the first part of the church building. 3 more additions were made to the building to bring it to the spacious facility it is today as various pastors saw the work grow. Pioneer has always placed an emphasis on reaching children and youth in the community through weekday clubs and summer ministry in partnership with Monarch Bible camp.